Tuesday 10 March 2015

Focus on the community

We at Jackson's Row are a varied and talented community.  Please use the blog to tell us a little about yourself or your family, or what you're up to.  Contact Mandy at the shul office and she can give you an email address for articles, or put you in touch with the blog editor, who can interview you.

To get you started, here's some news about our own Noam David Wright, who has a new single - NOW 79 - available for download ...






1.  What inspired your new single?



NOW 79 is what you might call a burst of 'melodic frustration'. I have always considered myself politically and socially a left-wing liberal, but am increasingly dismayed at how fellow liberals (not least organisations) have seemingly lost the plot in recent years, and have become so obsessed with political correctness that reasonable disagreement on certain social issues (from feminism, to religion, to multiculturalism etc) has now become taboo. Liberals are now stifling political discussion, rather than promoting it. 


2.  How would you describe your musical style?

 

I listen to various kinds of music all the time (everything from Dusty Springfield to Steve Reich), but at the moment I am mostly interested in late 70's new wave/pop-rock luminaries like Elvis Costello and Graham Parker. Great songwriters, who had great-sounding bands. 


3.  How long has singing/songwriting been part of your life?



I started songwriting as a teenager, not least for my first band Breather, but then in my early 20's basically lost my confidence and gave it up. I finally committed myself to writing and performing again when I returned to Britain (after living abroad) in 2012. 

4.  How important is your Jewish identity to the nature of your music?



It's always there in the background and I would actually love to record some of my own versions of Jewish liturgical songs, like our friend David Hoffman, whom I play with in the shul band Shir Chadash, but at the moment all my resources are going into my secular music, to see if I can get that off the ground. 

5. Where can we get hold of your new single?



NOW 79 (and my previous) tracks are all available for downloading/streaming at Bandcamp.com:  https://darkbloom.bandcamp.com/track/now-79



The video for the single is on Youtube here:  http://youtu.be/I5Sh_7HPKLg



If people like what they hear, I would be very thankful for any support they can give - for just 49p they can buy a download, or simply 'like' the Darkbloom Facebook page (link below) and kindly share my music with friends.