Monday 22 June 2015

Aleph, bet, vet ...



At first when I looked in our new siddur and saw there was a transliteration of the Hebrew, my heart filled with joy. Now I would be able to join in prayers and sing along with the choir. Because my Hebrew had never been very good. As a child, my Orthodox cheder did not prioritise the teaching of girls, and I fell by the wayside. When I joined Jackson’s Row I was helped to read Hebrew, but I never practised and although I could recognise letters, spelling out words was a painfully slow process. Hence my happiness at the transliteration.
But I always felt just a little guilty that I wasn’t doing it properly. Then, just under a year ago, inspired by the ice bucket challenge, a group of people in the MRJ initiated the Elul challenge here in the UK – in the run up to Yom Kippur, we challenged ourselves to do something in preparation. I decided to read 15 minutes of Hebrew a day.
Now here’s a thing. I found I enjoyed it. And my Hebrew even got a little bit better. After Yom Kippur, I didn’t want to stop. So I asked Rabbi Silverman if he’d lend a hand, and he agreed to go through some prayers in the siddur with me. I felt like someone had turned on a light. I began to learn what each prayer was about as well as being able to read it. Prayerbook Hebrew is an incredible language – each root word has little bits tagged on the beginning and end – you have to know what these mean, and add them to the root word – it’s a bit like one of Harry Potter’s spells!
I still practised my Hebrew at home, and then began to need something more structured. So the Rabbi directed me to The First Hebrew Primer, and I’ve begun to work through that. 

I’m doing all the basics I should have done years ago – learning how to write Hebrew letters, and really paying attention to those pesky little vowels. My fluency is slowly improving, and sometimes in shul Rabbi reads something – even from the Torah – and I actually understand it! I have to refrain myself from punching the air!
I love this passage from Sayings of the Fathers on p718 of our siddur:
“Elisha ben Abuyah says, If people learn as children – what do they resemble? They resemble ink written on clean paper. If people learn when old – what do they resemble? They resemble ink written on worn-out paper.”
Well, Elisha ben Abuyah – this piece of paper is not quite worn-out yet, and though I might have to work a bit harder than young people, I think I appreciate all the more deeply how wonderful Hebrew is – a mine of treasure which is truly limitless.
If this inspires any of you, Rabbi is only too happy to arrange tuition as he has done for me.
SA