Thursday 16 June 2016

Pam hits the Big Apple - and feeds the hungry!

From Pam Walker ...

My recent trip to New York City was not complete until I volunteered at Central Synagogue in midtown Manhattan.
This incredible community serves breakfast for between 50-100 homeless people from the streets of New York every Thursday and Friday at 6:30am!

All are volunteers and I was lucky enough to work with them.
An early start beckoned on my last day of 'vacation'.
Taking the subway train at 05:30 I thought I would be alone. No.... The New Yorkers start early and the train was bustling.

On arrival I was met by the coordinators and set to work, laying tables, getting drinks and snacks ready. 





All of the homeless guests are given a lunch bag to take away. Any spares are handed out as extras. 




The tables are set in the round so everyone gets a chance to catch up with one another. 


Tea, coffee and hot chocolate, and some iced water were available for everyone with regular top ups New York diner style!

Breakfast that day was corned been hash, sweet potato and vegetables.
Lunch (to go) cheese sandwich bananas, raisins and cake.

Before the arrivals, we read a short prayer which helped focus our thoughts on those who have little in life.

Once the doors opened we had a steady stream of breakfast guests. I was struck by the humanity and warm greetings everyone had.
It was like a regular restaurant, each guest called Sir or Ma'am - dignity in what they must experience as a cruel world most of the time.

I was soon getting requests for extra bread, coffee, sugar, drinks and fruits. I had a few comments about my accent! They seemed to warm to me and my fellow volunteers were simply delightful.

Some customers had orders 'to go' and I was left wondering where they went to eat their breakfasts.
New York was very warm when I was there, but in the winter......

My experience at the Central Synagogue was humbling, inspiring and uplifting. So much dedication, care and attention for others is a gift to treasure, and that I have done.
I was made so welcome and was invited back next time I am in New York. 



My Jewish journey constantly brings me surprises, some good, some fabulous and others I struggle with, but it holds me in thrall.
How could we do something in our own Shul?
We are in the middle of the city, we have our homeless people.....
I say, what's stopping us?